This blog is for family and friends who wish to following Trevan as he sacrifices his time and talents to go forth and teach the Gospel in the Belgium/Netherlands Mission for the next two years. Follow him as he grows through experience, challenges and triumphs throughout his mission. May our prayers provide him comfort and protection as he serves the people in his mission and may we all be inspired to be missionaries in our own lives.

Monday, February 9, 2015

February 9, 2015

Another week has come and gone and the transfer is half over! I can’t believe it. It is crazy. I just got here but looking at the work we have got done on our project it is amazing to see how much we have accomplished in that time. Thursday I went to Brussel again and got my driver’s license application filled out for real this time. I went down with Elder Morrell which was the best because we spent the whole day together and we basically have a bromance. There it is. I said it. I hope you are reading this Morrell ;)

But really we pray to be companions someday haha I’m not kidding. Let me start with our cool lessons this week. We met with Bart again who is the eternal investigator and he had read Alma 32 like we committed and actually began comparing it with the book of Proverbs! We taught how these books could be used together and how they are two testaments of Christ, but he gets so hung up on the names in the book of Mormon like Onidah and Ammonihah. He can’t get past that. I’m just glad that the Brother of Jared goes by that and not Murioneajopbhraiuenkl because Bart would have a field day with that one. Who would think one would get so caught up on it? Only the Dutch haha it was a great lesson though and I was able to teach the difference between the rich of the world and prideful and the poor in spirit and humble. It really clicked for him and helped him understand the story of Alma 32. It was the gift of tongues at work I promise.

WE made pancakes for Tom last Thursday and that was fun because people here love American pancakes. I made them alone too haha since Elder Conatti is well you know Brazilian.

We also met Miguel on Saturday who is a 17 year old kid from Nederland and Peru (somehow) and he is super cool but I get that it is hard because we are both new and he got really used to the other elders. But he is nuts for America. And so am I. So I’m pumped to go all about that. HE should have a baptismal date soon because he is being taught and keeping commitments. He has a picture of old Machu Picchu ruins on his wall and I just want to yell "BRO THAT IS FROM THE PEOPLE IN THE BOOK OF MORMON" but I held my tongue.

No huge new other than that but we did teach a guy on the train and gave away a book of Mormon and then hammered the music this week.

I have never learned so much piano in so little of a time. It is so difficult but I am so incredibly grateful for it because I have been given this hard time so that I may turn to the Lord in every hour. We have finalized all of our songs (I think) and they aren’t just church hymns but stories of inspiration and happiness. Because we are telling the story of a general Dutch member's life, we have songs like bring him home from les mis for a wayward son and in my daughter’s eyes by Martina McBride for the birth of a child. We have arranged it to be much more reverent but it is so cool. I love it.

Sunday we performed in the first 2 sacrament meetings with the first being an American branch (really strange going to church in English again) and the Zoetermeer Dutch ward. We did Savior Redeemer of my Soul first and it went well but not as good as planned. At the last minute before Zoetermeer we decided to change numbers to our original arrangement of Joseph Smith's first prayer and oh my father to the tune of homeward bound. I was nervous because I wasn’t mentally prepared for it but I got up there, began to play, and I can’t tell you the rest of what happened. But what I can tell you is that every note that came from that piano did not come from my hands alone. I promise with all my heart that that number was 100% guided by the Spirit and it showed in that chapel. Members were crying as we finished and the bishop later spoke and it was one of the most spiritual meetings of my life. I am so grateful for the guidance of the Lord, that I may always have it with me.

There was a lady in the Zoetermeer ward that came on Sunday for the first time in 5 years. She sat with the Zusters and told them of all that she felt in that meeting and I truly believe it has made the difference in her activation process.

De Haagse Toor
The members reacted so positively to our visit and we have soooo many appointments this week to visit them and instruct them on how to invite nonmembers and role play invitations. This entire project is to bring those people to the chapel and allow them to feel of the Spirit through music. The members are so excited to invite nonmember family members and neighbors so it should be a fantastic turn out. We 4 talked later about how that was such a spiritual confirmation that this project is what the Lord would have us do.

We toured De Haagse Toor today which is the tallest building in Den Haag and ate at the top with the whole district. SUUUUUper expensive haha it costs money to hang up your jacket. Not kidding. In all we paid 155 euro for lunch or about 200 US dollars. Nuts. Luckily it was only about 13 each but still.

Thanks for all the love. I've thought about the Prophet Joseph Smith's words this last week about this Restoration and preparation for the Lords Second Coming: "Shall we not go on in so great a cause?" That man did more for the Church than any man, save it be Christ, has or ever will do. I live by that. I know that. That is why I know without a shadow of a doubt that he was the chosen one to restore these truths.
This foggy picture is of the ocean.  Look hard

This week I have a goal to be bold. To pray for baptisms in every prayer. Miracles happen through faith. Then why would we wait to show ours? "Don't wait for the perfect moment, but take time to make the moment perfect."

Elder Trevan Scott Reese









No comments:

Post a Comment