This blog is for family and friends who wish to following Trevan as he sacrifices his time and talents to go forth and teach the Gospel in the Belgium/Netherlands Mission for the next two years. Follow him as he grows through experience, challenges and triumphs throughout his mission. May our prayers provide him comfort and protection as he serves the people in his mission and may we all be inspired to be missionaries in our own lives.

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

to the Nethermost land we go                                                        Sept. 10, 2014

Firstly, massive shout out to the BYU Cougars who not only throttled but rather kicked the Longhorns in the gut and literally hurdled them to reach the end zone in a massive steamroll in Austin Texas at a score of 41-7. At the MTC, we still raise our colors high in the blue for our Cougars of BYU. #runtaysomrun I also hear ESPN says they are the most likely team to run undefeated. If they don't get cocky. Of course. The season I am in the MTC. Elder Morrell are contemplating our manner of writhing in pain as we hear the game against Houstontomorrow night. Should be painful.

TRAVEL PLANS

What a glorious thing. We waited 5 weeks for this news and we have our escape plan to Europe! WE head out Monday morning with our flight leaving at 11:05 to Detroit then straight to Amsterdam. We can't wait. All 12 of us are traveling together and we have been reassured that visas aren't a common problem with our countries so hopefully all goes well. (You best be believin' I'm knocking on wood). 

Travel plans itinerary
Allison left last Wednesday and it sounds like she is doing great! It makes me so excited to get out there. The Dutch is still coming and about every other day we go for hours without any English. It's neat because we actually know more than we think we know and can talk in only Nederlands. I love Dutch. Best language out there. Our teachers all served in Nederland and have the biggest love for it. We hear so many stories and miracles they've had and people they hope we meet and teach. I love that my foundation of this language is Gospel principles and Preach My Gospel because if I don't know what to say that's all I know haha I really do believe that is why Nederlands is so much easier to learn and retain here, in 6 weeks, that Spanish was in 4 years.

We are the top dogs now here in our zone. The West Indies Dutchies left Monday morning and it was real hard to see them go. We are all that remains of the last of our zone we had for 3 straight weeks which is unusual in the MTC. I know they will all do great though. On Sunday we looked up blogs of the Danish and Swedes in their missions and we are so happy for them and even more excited to get out there.

To be honest, I'm getting really sick of fake everything. Hahaha fake investigators, fake food, fake reality, I just want to get to Holland and serve. 6 weeks is forever and I can't wait forMonday. We had our 36 missionaries come in Wednesday and it was absolutely chaotic. Seriously that much stress and emotion times 36 and I thought I was going to die. But all went well and they all seem to be doing great and the ball is rolling with their languages. To be frank, Elder Hirsch and I were basically babysitters for 3 days because we couldn't help anyone personally. Heel gek. 

The newly installed water feature at the MTC following the storm of storms on the stairs
Yesterday we had a torrential downpour hahaaha the sidewalks and walkways were flooding everywhere and it made personal and companion study so much fun. We ran through the rain and were soaked in 2 seconds. Loved it.

Last Wednesday we went to West Campus to eat at a burger joint and the news was on so we were exposed to all the stuff going on. That ISIS thing is nuts and everything with Iceland and NATO really put us all in a bummer mood. We felt awful that day after having the Spirit here on main campus and taking it for granted then feeling despair at everything going on out there. But we had the opportunity to go to the temple. And everything was flipped 180. I had never felt so much peace and happiness as I did that afternoon in the temple. I was brought back from reality to my service and purpose. The worlds trembles around us, everyday and everywhere. Yet why shall we fear? For our Lord God is in His heaven, and everything is okay.

Our choir director helped open my eyes again yesterday. The Church has hit the mark of 90,000 current missionaries in this time of hastening the work. Research analysts have agreed upon the figure of about 90 billion people having lived on this earth since Adam. My opportunity to be a latter day missionary is 1 in 1 million. Imagine LaVell Edwards Stadium, the Marriott Center filled to capacity and you being the one of them all to be called as a missionary. Now narrow that further to that of this hastened time and the figure in unfathomable. How blessed am I. That I may serve His people in this time.

Lastly, I encourage you all to take moments of reflection and sincerity tomorrow. We remember the time of great despair and loss of hope in our nation's history as we suffered a tragic blow to loved comrades and people. Remember to whom you pledge your allegiance every day and whose Stars and Stripes are flown. This is our land. I don't care if you are head over heels for the man leading the country or cannot stand to look at him. We are a united people. Under God. Indivisible. We enjoy these liberties and freedoms together and are immediate family in that sense. Remember to honor those brothers and sisters who lost their lives on that September day 13 years ago and all those who showed Christlike love to save their fellow man. I have less than a week left in America and I shall never forget my home.

Met alle mijn liefde,
Elder Trevan Scott Reese

Ghosts ;)  Elder Dolphin had packed all his clothes (He left for Suriname on Monday and didn't have anything to wear so he wore his bed sheet, we felt kinda bad for him and we thought it was cool so we joined him. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment