This blog is for family and friends who wish to following Trevan as he sacrifices his time and talents to go forth and teach the Gospel in the Belgium/Netherlands Mission for the next two years. Follow him as he grows through experience, challenges and triumphs throughout his mission. May our prayers provide him comfort and protection as he serves the people in his mission and may we all be inspired to be missionaries in our own lives.

Friday, August 29, 2014

HALF WAY THERE - AUGUST 27, 2014

the train ordeal hahaha note the socks (it was self-acclaimed America Day)
by the way the word for Independence Day is onafhankelijkheidsdag and is my favorite word everCHOO-CHOO TRAIN

Thank you Bon Jovi for allowing me to sound clever in regards to this week's title.

HELLO Y'ALL

What a great week. Yesterday was our hump day and so now we are in our last semester here at the MTC. The Danish and Icelandics left early Monday morning and are now in Copenhagen at the mission home so we're hoping all is well. Except for the fact that Sunday afternoon a massive volcanic eruption occurred in Iceland so even after 9 weeks of MTC training the poor Icelandics can't even fly to their mission (HAHA but so sad). Every week now we say goodbye to people in the zone with Monday being the Swedes andNext Monday the Surinames which will be real hard. Today we get in more Danes, then in the next 2 weeks get in 37 new missionaries with most of them sisters. #holybuckets haha all the Swedes, Norweigans, Surinames, and Danes will be replaced and we become the all-stars in the zone.

I was released Sunday as district leader becuase we split 3 weeks in the MTC. It's nice I don't have to go to a plethora of meetings anymore but I liked the leadership role. But let's be real I had no idea what to do and so there is no difference hahaha 

Allison got here on Wednesday and we've had a blast (not really HAHA) but it's cool to see her here and she leaves next week. Comes in after me and leaves before me. that troll. HAHA but I see her everyday at meals which is neat. 

So I miracle happened this week with my foot! I'm all solid now and don't need anything. I didn't really to anything the doctor told me to do either so that's a bonus to my pride hahahah but all is well there so much so that we played soccer again Monday and Tuesday and the Dutchies have taken a 2-0-1 series lead over the Swedes. 

Our onderzoekers are doing awesome. I look forward to teaching everyday. Elder Hirsch and I try to schedule appointments twice a day and have gotten ahead of the game so we have to slow down with the curriculum. We taught probably 9 lessons this week with the shortest one being 30 minutes. We've gotta cut down haha but it's so neat to speak only Dutch for so long. I think that Elder Hirsch and I have such a solid grip on the language and he is good at things I am absolutely pitiful at haha such as getting to know the onderzoekers which is just a dandy skill to not have hahahaha so I hope that will come soon. Yesterday, however, I became so used to speaking becoming a hard thing with Dutch that I accidentally dropped English words in a Nederland accent because verzoening and vandaag have become more natural to my tongue than Atonement or today. hahahaha congratulations to myself, I am a missionary Each of our onderzoekers are getting baptized and are coming to church with us and have Boeken van Mormon so Elder Hirsch and I are atop the 2 districts. It's real great but our onderzoekers aren't super hard like some of the other companionships so that's where they make up. Our teachers are phenomenal. Every single one is so great and have return from either the Netherlands or Suriname within 3 years. 

Elder Cook and I have a real solid bond together and are always saying dumb things and laughing our heads of at our stupidity. I'm telling you, he is just like you Dallin haha I'm real excited that all 12 of us get to fly to Europe together, and hopefully everyone receives visas in 2 weeks. 

No super funny stories this week because I've been in recovery haha but now all is good so I betcha something incredibly ridiculous will happen to me. It always does. haha we did however detach the bunk ladder with all 4 steps, using as a taxi and driving around the hall with ties on our heads and shirts untucked so that was neat. There's no TV here. We make our own entertainment and it is glorious.

I hope school is going well for y'all that have begun or will be beginning. You'll do great if you work hard, I promise. Thank you all so much for your prayers and gifts. I don't have Aunt Geri or Aunt Wendy's addresses but I wanted to let you both know how much I loved the cookies and cards you sent. Tell Bailey Austin and McKell that I love their cards and they are hanging above my desk. 

Last day with the Icelandics
Even though school has begun I want you all to know that you can still be happy haha go out and do things that are adventurous and spontaneous. Every morning I wake to the gorgeous Wasatch Front mountains and wish to venture up there so badly. We had a rainstorm the other night that put snow atop Mount Timp too so that was cool in August haha I encourage you all to enjoy the land that we live in because it is majestic. How blessed are we to live in this nation. I love seeing our banner everyday at the temple and the MTC waving our freedom. It will most definitely be a hard thing to leave for 22 months. Get out there and live life how it is meant to be lived. I dream of hiking canyons and mountains back home and boasting our Stars and Stripes atop these peaks we call home. Relish our liberties and freedoms for they are not seen everywhere. Know that I love this land with all my heart and would be alongside you in the adventure you take.

Lastly, I really cool message came to me this week from speakers in our devotionals. Christ has given us all He hath so that we may return to heaven through Him. However we need faith. Faith is our foundation and when planted like a seed can grow. We are given strenuous times, such as college or maybe high school or a new job or having to move or a mission so that we may test our faith. He carried His cross to Calvary. Shall we not take but few steps to the hill ourselves? He died for us. He suffered for us. He rose so we may live again. With that I say, give me mountains to climb. Give me waters to swim. Give me trials that I may overcome them as Christ my Savior would so He may know I live through His name. At first I was a little bummed I didn't get called Spanish speaking with all I had learned in school. But know I don't want it at all. I know without a doubt that I am meant to serve this people. Dutch is not easy but it's absolutely possible through His gift of tongues. I can already testify of that. A Swedish Elder has a sister in Amsterdam that has been there for 2 months and has baptized 10. That's nuts for Europe and the Netherlands. That drives me. 19 days until that plane leaves Salt Lake City and I'm well on my way.

Liefde,
Elder Trevan Scott Reese

P.S. I forgot on my address last week that our box is Unit 1 which you need to know for dear elders. thanks! letters work well at the MTC

Pictures
1) our zone before the Danes left (Suriname, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Belgium/Netherlands and the Icelandics who are so rare they don't even have a flag haha)                                                                      2) us Elders thuggin.



No comments:

Post a Comment